Isabel Santillán, medical director at Eva Clinics, provides a list of ten simple recommendations that can clear up your doubts when you are trying to achieve the pregnancy.
10 tips you should know about fertility
1. Sexually transmitted diseases can affect the fertility. Some of them can even after cured, and have effects in the future.
2. An obesity problem can interfere with the conception. In many cases, the obesity provokes hormone imbalances which at the same time can affect the reproductive ability.
3. Having regular menstrual periods does not guarantee the pregnancy. In the 80% of the menstrual cycles just one fertilized egg is released while the rest of them do not fertilize. This means that even if your menstruation is always normal it does not ensure you 100% chances to get pregnant.
4. The male as female fertility decreases as the man becomes older. The decline is obviously more evident in women. Nevertheless, there are also other external factors which can affect man’s reproductive ability.
5. Infertility is not a hereditary issue. If a woman had some fertility problems it doesn’t mean she will transmit them to her daughter; the reproductive medical history is something independent. However, there are also other inherited diseases such as premature menopause.
6. Many women become mothers at 45 years old, most of them are grateful to the assisted reproduction, particularly egg donation procedure. The truth is that becoming a mother starting at 40 years old turns to be almost an impossible mission; the rate is less than 5%. Furthermore, there is a higher risk for the children to suffer from some diseases. Beyond the age of 40, more than 50% of eggs are exposed to chromosomal alteration; the percentage can increase as long as the time goes by.
Women, who desire to get pregnant in their forties, should look for assistance after three months of unsuccessful attempts to have a baby.
7. In order to conceive naturally it is very important focusing on the dates when you are having sexual relationships. There are more chances to get pregnant right before or during the ovulation period because the sperm can survive 72 hours in the female body after intercourse.
8. Folic acid, iodine and zinc are common supplements which are used to increase to woman’s chances to get pregnant. There are also supplements that help the man such as folic acid, coenzyme Q10, vitamin E and zinc.
9. Smoking has a considerable impact on the attempt to have a baby. The possibilities to achieve the pregnancy are reduced by 50% for a smoker woman.
10. Stress is another enemy of your fertility. Women who face a fertility treatment under high level of anxiety ovulate 20% less and the fertilization of their eggs is reduced by 30%.