Embryo implantation is a decisive step in a fertility treatment like In Vitro Fertilisation, this is the moment in which the embryo is attached to the endometrium. When the time comes, the woman can suffer from a series of typical pregnancy symptoms.
What are embryo implantation symptoms?
One of the first symptoms suffered from the woman after embryo implantation is a light, almost imperceptible bleeding, and its duration changes from one woman to another. Sometimes is just a drop of blood and other times it may be confused with a light menstruation.
The loss of blood can last from one to three days, it is usually lighter and darker than the menstrual bleeding. It occurs during the first weeks of gestation, when the uterus is supplied with blood and bleeds easily. When the embryo is attached to the uterine walls it causes the breaking of little veins and arteries which usually supply endometrium with blood, producing a bleeding.
This occurs from 6 to 10 days after fertilisation, period which is confused with the expected menstrual date. For this reason is usually confused with its arrival.
Other important symptoms that can be the result of a successful implantation are:
- Cramps for one or two days, similar pain suffered during menstruation.
- Light breast swelling, mostly nipple and areola.
- Constipation and diarrhea disturbance, stomach acidity.
- Frequent urge/need to urinate.
- Somnolence, mostly after meals.
- Nausea and vomiting, especially after waking up and normally starting from the second week.
- A reaction to strong odors, the sense of smell is altered and some normal odors become excessive.